Protecting your privacy.
Improving your shopping experience.
Your trust is very important to us. That’s why we aim to be clear and transparent about why we collect information, the information we collect, how we use that information, and the choices you have regarding our use of it. We can also collect, use and share aggregate or anonymous data that does not identify you. We collect that information to save you time and money, and to make your shopping experience better.
Below are examples of how Customer data helps us create a better, safer experience in our stores and on our websites.
- Enhancing your shopping experience with us, in-store and online
- Developing new products and services to meet your needs
- Better understanding your use of our products, services and websites
- Determining your satisfaction with our programs and services
- Sending relevant information and personalized communications, including ways to save on items you buy most often
- Providing personalized content and experiences on our websites, mobile apps and mail
- Displaying personalized offers, information and ads from The Kroger Co. or our marketing partners (as defined in “How We Share Your Information") on other websites and mobile apps
- Sending product recall notifications to help keep you and your family safe
- Responding to your comments, requests and applications for career opportunities
- Processing payments securely
- Safeguarding the property or other rights of our Customers, Associates and company
- Legal compliance for purchase of certain products
There is some information that you voluntarily share with us.
This includes information used to register for our loyalty program or to create an account on our websites. For example:
- Name, address, phone and email
- Payment information
- Communication and shopping preferences
- An encrypted version of your password
- Driver’s license number for certain types of sales and for ID verification
We collect some information when you visit our stores, websites or use our mobile apps, or when you use our online services or view our online advertisements.We may collect this information automatically and link it to other information we already know about you. For example, when you sign up for our loyalty program, we may associate your in-store shopping activity with your online activity when you engage with our websites or mobile apps. Additionally, when you are logged in to our websites or use our mobile apps, we may link the device IDs or types to your account. This includes pages you visit on our websites, items you add to your online shopping list, coupons you download and redeem from us, and purchase information. In addition, we may collect information when you use our mobile apps, including device location (if you choose to turn this feature on). If you choose to connect to our in-store wireless service, we may collect websites you visit and your mobile device identifier so you can automatically be connected.
Cookies, web beacons and other technology.
When you visit our websites, access our mobile apps or open one of our emails, we may automatically collect information about you using tracking technology, including:
- Internet Protocol address
- Unique device or user ID
- System and browser type
- Referring website address
- Content and pages you access on our websites or mobile apps
- Dates, times and locations when actions take place
This may include, without limitation:
- User ID
- Interactions with our posts
- Certain demographic information
- Other information shared with us based on your account settings
We share the information we collect within The Kroger Co., and also with our affiliates, service providers and marketing partners who have agreed to the appropriate security and confidentiality requirements.
We may rely on these partners to:
- Host our websites
- Deliver postal and electronic mail, and mobile messages
- Conduct analysis to improve our products, websites and store experiences
- Fulfill orders you place, manage payments and answer your questions
- Analyze data, sometimes combined with other sources, so that we can send more relevant communications to you
- Display online, mobile or other advertising based on your purchases, activity on websites and mobile apps, and preferences you share with us
Purchase-Based AdvertisingWe may use your purchase history to help The Kroger Co. and other brands present ads that are more relevant to you on The Kroger Co. and third-party websites, mobile apps and other digital media channels. We will not increase the number of ads you see but instead will help to ensure that the ones we can affect are more personalized to you.
Interest-Based AdvertisingInterest-based advertising (sometimes called “online behavioral advertising”) uses information collected from your online behavior across multiple websites that you visit, or across multiple devices you may use, in order to predict your preferences and show you ads that are most likely to be of interest to you. You can learn more about interest-based advertising by visiting the NAI’s Learn More Page or the Digital Advertising Alliance. In an effort to provide you with relevant content and offers that may be useful to you, we may partner with third-party companies to display content, offers or advertising that is tailored to your interests based on how you browse and shop online and in our stores. These third-party companies use non-personally identifiable information such as browser type, hardware or software information, cookies, session ID, time or date, and click-stream information. They may also collect and share personally identifiable information such as a static IP address. We may provide your personal information to third-party companies that display purchase-based or interest-based ads. In addition, others (advertisers and ad networks, ad serving companies, or other service providers) may infer user interests or purchase history based on interactions with, or clicks on, personalized ads or content. Your password and login information are never shared.
Other reasons we may share your information:
- To safeguard the rights and property of our Customers, the public or The Kroger Co.
- When we believe disclosure is necessary to comply with the law, regulatory requirements or requests from public authorities
- For fraud prevention
We use appropriate technical, administrative and physical procedures to prevent loss, misuse or alteration of your information. For example, we use Transport Layer Security (TLS/SSL) to encrypt the information we exchange with you. That way, access to data is limited through the use of technological safeguards. We also comply with payment card industry data security standards during the processing of credit and debit card transactions.
We encourage you to use complex passwords and to change them regularly. While we use both passwords and usernames to protect information online, we also protect your information offline. Only Associates who need the information to perform a specific job are granted access to our Customers’ data. Associates who violate Customer privacy safeguards are subject to disciplinary action, including termination.
Do Not Track
Personal Health Information
Children’s Online Privacy
Our websites are for a general audience and are not geared toward children. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13 without the prior consent of a parent or guardian. If you believe your child may have disclosed personally identifiable information to us, please call us at 1-800-KRO-GERS (1-800-576-4377) and we will remove it.
Your Communications Preferences and Choices
We value our relationship with you, and communications are an important part of that relationship.
We understand that our Customers are individuals, and communications preferences will vary by Customer. That is why we offer you the ability to manage what types of communications you receive from us, and the ability to manage or change your preferences. Here’s how you can do so:
Email, Mobile and Online Communications
If you have an online account with The Kroger Co., you can manage your subscriptions to email, mobile and online communications programs, such as our Weekly Ad and Specials & Promotions emails, via your Communications Preferences.
If you would prefer that your purchase history is not used to personalize advertising you already receive online, on mobile devices or in other digital channels, you can choose and manage your preferences via your Communications Settings or contact us at 1-800-KRO-GERS (1-800-576-4377). Please allow a reasonable amount of time for any changes to your settings to take effect.
You can control your exposure to most interest-based advertising through the Digital Advertising Alliance, a group that has developed self-regulatory principles for interest-based advertising. Visit YourAdChoices.com for more information. In addition, some websites (such as Facebook) offer the ability to opt out of interest-based advertising directly on their sites.
Please allow a reasonable amount of time for any changes to take effect.